28-03-2025 12:00:00 AM
Agencies WASHINGTON
President Donald Trump has said he will consider a reduction in tariffs on China if that country’s government approves a sale of TikTok’s operations in the United States. Speaking with reporters at the Oval Office, Trump said the move “sounds like something I’d do”.The President’s comments came less than two weeks before an April deadline requiring TikTok’s China-based parent company ByteDance to divest or face a US ban.
Questions about the fate of the popular video-sharing app have continued to linger since a law requiring ByteDance’s divestment took effect on January 19. After taking office, Trump gave TikTok a 75-day reprieve by signing an executive order that delayed enforcement of the statute until April 5. Trump reiterated that the deadline on a TikTok deal could be extended further if needed. He previously proposed terms in which the US would have a 50% stake in a joint venture. The administration hasn’t provided details on what that type of deal would entail.
But earlier this month, Vice-President JD Vance said he was hopeful a deal to keep TikTok operating in the US will be wrapped up by the early April deadline. NBC News reported that Vance did not offer details on who the potential buyers could be but noted that some issues could push a final agreement past the deadline. TikTok and ByteDance have not publicly commented on the talks. It’s also unclear if ByteDance has changed its position on selling TikTok, which it said early last year it does not plan to do.
What will happen on April 5?
If TikTok is not sold to an approved buyer by April 5, the original law that bans it nationwide would once again go into effect. However, the deadline for the executive order doesn’t appear to be set in stone and the President has reiterated it could be extended further if needed.